Once you have decided to travel to Vietnam, your first step will be to check entry requirements. Whether you are required a Vietnam visum, what type of visa you need and what documents needed to apply for it. The information on this page will help you answer all that questions and guide you through the application process.
Who needs a visum Vietnam?
Apart from citizens of countries named in this exemption list, all foreign visitors seeking to enter Vietnam must first obtain a visum issued by Immigration Department. Having a visum Vietnam allows the foreigners to remain in Vietnam for a certain period of time on single or multiple entries. Any attempt to travel without a visa is illegal.
What type of visa do I need?
There are up to 15 types of Vietnamese visum of which two main types are Vietnam tourist visa (valid for 3 months) and Vietnam business visa (valid for up to 12 months). Many people come for a short business trip with a tourist visa and some others come to visit family with business visa because Vietnamese officials seem not to care about which visum you take for the trip. So, when selecting the visa type, you should take period of stay into consideration instead of purpose of the travel.
How to get a Vietnam visum?
Almost foreign citizens are allowed to opt to obtain Vietnam visum at embassy or on arrival. Here is the application guide for each option:
1. Traditional way: get full visa stamp on your passport before departure
As a rule, the applicants must submit visa application in person at Vietnam Embassy/Consulate. The documentation which is commonly required includes:
· Completed visa application form: can be obtained free of charge from office of embassy or be downloaded from their website
· Original passport: must be valid for at least 6 months prior to date of travel and have at least 01 blank page left.
· 01 passport-sized photo taken within the last 6 months
· Vietnam visa fee
In order to avoid time-consuming requests for additional information, you should consult the consular in advance to find out what more supporting documentation has to be submitted for your particular visa.
Generally, the consular requires 4-5 working days to decide on an application for a short stay visa. If you require a long stay visa, the processing time may be longer.
2. Visa on arrival: get visa stamp on arrival with prior approval letter
Vietnam visa on arrival opens an easier access and helps you save a lot of time and money. However, you must enter Vietnam by air to be eligible for it because visa on arrival is available at airport only. Here are 4 steps that must be followed to obtain visum Vietnam upon arrival:
1. Fill out online visa application form in a few minutes
2. Make payment with credit or debit card (See Vietnam visa cost)
3. Receive visa approval letter via e-mail after 2 working days or less (Read Urgent Vietnam visa on arrival for details)
4. Present the print copy of approval letter, original passport, completed entry and exit form (download here), 01 passport photo and stamping fee (in cash) to get visa stamped onto the passport on arrival.
Is Vietnam visa extension from within Vietnam possible?
When the visa is expiring, you are able to have visa extended without leaving Vietnam with the assistance of the travel agent. However, according to new immigration law effective from January, 2015, the foreigners are no longer permitted to change visa type inside Vietnam. So if you are in possession of 01 month visa, it’s possible to extend for another 01 month but impossible to renew it to 03 month visa. Find out more about Vietnam visa extension.
Have questions about visum Vietnam? Please leave it at the comment box below or contact us in one of following ways:
Hotline: +84 966 53 93 63
Email: [email protected]