Vietnam visa requirements for foreigners
At present day, Vietnam visa exemption is only available for 16 countries. Therefore, whenever you plan to visit Vietnam for business or pleasure, don’t ever forget to check Vietnam visa requirements to see whether you are required an entry visa.
There are 2 ways for you to obtain a Vietnamese visa:
1. Apply at the Vietnam Embassy/Consulate
2. Apply for Vietnam visa on arrival through travel agents (you must apply online for visa approval letter beforehand to get visa stamp at the airport)
If you are confused about choosing best way to get visa for Vietnam, here is our advice. Choose the second way if you enter Vietnam by air (convenient, cheap, quick) and the first way if you come to Vietnam by other means of transport.
The most common types of Vietnam visa are Vietnam tourist visa and Vietnam business visa. Typically, the tourist visa is valid from 15 days to 30 days and the business visa is valid for 3 months. However, many people come for a short business trip with tourist visa and many people come for holiday with business visa. Thus, when choosing the type of visa, the only consideration should be the convenience for your intended period of stay in Vietnam. The Immigration Officer will not care about which visa you take and what purpose of your trip is. Still, if you apply for a business visa at the embassy/consulate, you might be requested to provide visa authorisation from Immigration Department arranged by sponsor in Vietnam. In this case, the easiest way for you to avoid such a complicated procedure is applying Vietnam visa on arrival.
Whichever way you choose, please keep in mind the following things:
- Your passport should have mimimum 6-month validity prior to date of travel
- Check for error in application form before submitting to make sure that all your information is correct
- Don’t wait until the last minute to apply for a Vietnam visa because the urgent Vietnam visa cost is quite high.