Thu. Jul 25th, 2024










As the economy in Vietnam grows, the number of foreigners settling down in the country for work significantly increases and long-term visa came out for travelling convenient. Long-term visa or temporary residence card is a type of entry/exit permit issued by an immigration department or a competent authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to a foreigner who is permitted to reside in Vietnam for a certain period of time. This card has the same validity as a visa; therefore, holders of temporary residence card are also exempt from visa.

One privilege is that foreigners with temporary residence card are able to sponsor other foreigners to enter Vietnam provided that the documents presenting a relationship between parties are available. In more details, every holder of temporary residence card may sponsor his/her grandparents, parents, spouse, and children to visit Vietnam; his/her spouse and children under 18 years of age to stay in Vietnam during the validity period of temporary residence card if agreed by the inviting entities or sponsors of temporary residence cardholder.

Also, take into account that the temporary residence card is one of the conditions for exit from Vietnam.

To whom can temporary residence card be issued?

Foreigners being members of diplomatic missions, consular offices, and representative offices of international organizations of the UN, intergovernmental organizations in Vietnam, their spouses, their children under 18 years of age, and housemaid who go along during their working term shall be issued with temporary residence card with symbol NG3.

Foreigners holding LV1, LV2, ĐT, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LĐ, TT visas shall get temporary residence card with the same symbols.

What is the procedure for temporary residence card?

As usual, an applmau-the-tam-truication for a temporary residence card consists of:

a) A written request from the inviting entity;

b) A declaration with attached photo;

c) Passport;

d) Documents proving the status above-mentioned.



For those who hold visa DN or LĐ, their application for a temporary residence card should specifically include the following:

  • Operation certificate/license of the enterprise employing foreign worker;
  • Seal specimen registration certificate or written notice on the publication of seal specimen of the enterprise on the national enterprise registration portal;
  • Work permit of 12 months or over;
  • Original passport with at least 13-months validity;
  • Temporary residence certificate or temporary residence book of the foreigner certified by the police of the ward or commune where the foreigner is staying in Vietnam;
  • Form NA16: Registration of specimen seal and signature for the first time at immigration authority;
  • Form NA6: Official letter and application for a temporary residence card;
  • Form NA8: Declaration requesting for a temporary residence card

The process will start when the inviting entity submits the application for a temporary residence card of the foreigner to the immigration authority in the same administrative division where the inviting entity is based or residing. The diplomatic mission, consular office, or another agency authorized by the foreigner in Vietnam can also send the application for NG3 temporary residence card directly to a competent authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Within 5 working days from the receipt of sufficient documents, the immigration authority or the competent authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall consider issuing a temporary residence card.

How long can temporary residence card be valid?

In general, the duration of temporary residence card is at least 30 days shorter than the remaining duration of the passport. Specific cases shall be as follows:

  • Temporary residence card with NG3, LV1, LV2, ĐT or DH symbols shall not exceed 5-years validity.
  • The duration of temporary residence card with NN1, NN2, TT symbols shall not exceed 3 years.
  • The duration of a DN, LĐ or PV1 temporary residence card shall not exceed 2 years.

Can a temporary residence card be extended?

Yes, expired temporary residence card may be extended. The foreigner should request the inviting entity or sponsor to send written request for extension of temporary residence card enclosed with passport or laissez-passer of the foreigner directly to immigration authority or a competent authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs pursuant to symbols on the temporary residence card. Extension of temporary residence card status will be considered within 05 working days from the receipt of sufficient documents.

See moreVietnam Business Visa







Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *